Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Choosing Faith

I just finished watching the movie/screenplay extravaganza of the 70's, "Jesus Christ Superstar". I couldn't truly endorse any of the actual content. The parallels to the bible were very loose and ineffectual in my opinion. The singing was overly dramatic and lacking true talent to my unsophisticated ear. However, there is a slow crawl of admiration rising in me as I watched. I couldn't put my finger on it til I remembered the one word...Blasphemy.

This word was introduced to me over and over as a inquisitive Catholic child (a sort of blasphemy of its own kind). I asked my mother. I asked each new priest. Each had the same answer for me, "it is blasphemy to question God". Unsatisfied, confused and bruised mentally I believed myself to be wrong for seeking. Yet even that doubt could not still my need for answers. I continued asking, searching. I found many answers, some resembling one another, while others contradicted. Funny that today, when my questions have been stilled that I finally have the answer. The one that makes me say Jesus Christ Superstar and all of its ilk are brilliant films.

Choice is the short answer. The long answer is because I seek, I open my mind to all possibilities. That is the only way to truly choose. Choice, my friends is the only real faith. Anything else is enslavement, as the Romans held us long ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment