Sunday, November 4, 2012

Texting Manners

Admittedly, I came late to the world of texting. About four  years ago, I had no clue what that term barely meant. I heard it being used all over the place. Upon first hearing it, I thought it was some kind of option with a very fancy, expensive phone that involved code. haha....No, really!

I don't remember how it happened, I just began. It might have been with the first time I got a phone that was worth more than a piece of gum. Maybe it was when I finally gave up on the idea of a landline. Whatever the event, I can't stop now.

I love texting but there are some disclaimers to that. In the beginning, I refused to give up on complete sentences. I was determined not to fall into that lazy generation that forgets how to spell the world laugh, using lol instead. Is it just me or is everyone "laughing out loud", so often, a bit far fetched?? I used actual punctuation marks. You know those funny little dots that look ink stained? I kept that up for a good year, I suppose, mocking those that btw'd and lol'd entirely too much and then...it happened....I gave in...I sold out!

That said, I still believe there is a texting etiquette to be followed to some extent. I'm beginning to think , I am the only one of this mind though. Texting is a shortcut to a conversation. It is what we have, throughout the day when we can't take the time out to have the hour(s) long talks we used to. Concentrate on my nouns here: Conversation and talks. In a real live conversation, there is a beginning and clear end. With texting, shouldn't that be the same, at the very least?

Here is how my text conversations go: We start with a traditional, hello, hi, how are you, etc. Then there is random info/questions, out of order and lacking in adjectives often. I'm good with the middle parts. However the end, is often left behind. The "conversation" just ends without closure. My only identifier to this is the time that passes by with no reply.

I'm sorry, how hard is a "i've got to go" or "sorry, busy" or "cya, later" and the list could go on and on of simple typing phrases that would surely not strain even the busiest or most metropolitan of texters.

Am I being silly to want to know that a shared string of consciousness has come to an end? Is it really so unreasonable to just say bye? Personally,I don't think so but, I do recognize that I might very well be a dying breed of people that remember the importance of manners, no matter the medium. 

No comments:

Post a Comment