Wednesday, December 22, 2010

In the Name of Women





Bitch . Slut. Whore. Nag. Cunt.
These are the words carelessly aimed at a woman. Although many have disagreed with me on this point, I emphatically believe them to be gender specific.; Therefore, the obvious sign of a male-chauvinist, to say the least. I have become so used to this particular brand of abuse that I am seldom surprised or unprepared for this attack. That said the lack of response from anyone hearing it is forever appalling. Where are those men that understand a woman is to be respected? Where are their voices amongst the throng of men that know not what they do when throwing these grenades.
Let us examine the argument that these words can be directed at men as well. These are the terms that are meant to effeminate a man. It is the way to tell a man he is like a woman and less manly. Need I say more?
Everyone has a woman in their life. We are the mothers that birthed you. We are the sisters that looked up to you. We are the daughters seeking your guidance. No life is untouched by one. When this act is perpetuated…when this slang is slung, the offender disgraces every woman they know or will ever. As well, they have lowered the standards as to what is and is not acceptable. Furthering this act to go unnoticed, making everyone just a little less sensitive to this travesty.
Trust me these words sting but when these bullets come from those of another women…words fail me. I believe this ever-growing phenomenon began with the feminist movement of the 60s. I am by no means saying that that wasn’t an important step in the evolution of females. What I am saying is that too many women overcompensated and forgot what it was to be a woman in their goal to show men they could be, like them. In my humble opinion, the mistake was made that we believed the bullshit men spewed of our natures being negative: “women are weak, soft, emotional and irrational” In order to combat this we became men! They left their feminity aside in order to fight back. Now here we are today trying so hard to be equal to men, STILL, by disavowing our own gender. Besides all signs of softness lacking in themselves, the basic bond…pride of sisterhood is fading fast, if not gone.
The problem is I don’t know the solution. How can I, and those of my ilk, convince others that it is okay to be a woman. How can I assure a man that we pose no threat merely because we are different?  

1 comment:

  1. Stopped by to get caught up. Thinking of you.....xo Julie

    ReplyDelete