Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Rhythms of our lives

When I say that music has power in my life, I'm not sure how to express the depth of that statement. Music can change my mood, like magic,  no matter what the circumstance. Let me expound upon that and say that music will always have a positive impact on my life, minus one event: Breaking up. Again, the power of music is evident even in this dismal time. The music begins and at first I am lulled by it, as a visit from an old friend but then the lyrics kick in and drown me in rivets of lost love, hope and all those notions that went out the window with the man I lost. This is where I am right now. Life has kicked me temporarily and I am musically down. That said, my love for the Rhythms of life has not diminished, merely on a sabbatical while my heart heals.

Now this is not a blog about my broken heart, it is one desperately trying to explain the necessity I see music should be in everyone's life. I'd like to open a window allowing someone to see inside my heart and mind where music floats. I wonder if mentioning that musicals are Kryptonite to me explains a little more. I cannot pass one down, even if it were a Western (I tend to hate Westerns). Currently, the show Glee is something I look forward to every week. It brings absolute joy to my life as I sit down and allow my ears to drink in the songs, pitches, altos and tenors.

I'm going to take this one final step further. Music is absolute therapy.  As a medical professional I am speaking on a very visceral level as well.I wish I could convince the world of its importance. I have many plans that I will pursue via my career in order to accomplish this goal. One such example is fully researching and proving via the dreaded M (math) word and statistics to prove that music can heal emotionally and thereby the human body. I intend to submit this to the hospital that I work for persuading them that music should be wafting from every possible corridor, bathroom or clinic.

Can you imagine how much brighter the world would be if we all danced to our own soundtrack? What if as we walked, we heard theme music, uplifting and encouraging the very best in us? When I feel lonely in public, like I am an ant, amongst the animals, I put in my headset and turn the music on. Immediately, my spirits are not only lifted but in that pure happiness I am reminded that I am not alone. I begin smiling at strangers, wanting them to feel my joy. Sometimes the music transports me to a place in time that brings back a special person in my life. In that moment, I am out of my head and lost in the rhythms of life, as I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment