Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Happy Passing

I received the word that my grandmother had been in the hospital for a week on Friday. My uncle and aunt and mother had decided to put her on comfort care with a hospice. My very first thought was...finally.

My grandma has been suffering from Alzheimer's for too many years now. She is in the final stage four. She no longer recognizes any of us and hasn't for at least two years, she cannot communicate, what is so clearly in her mind, and she doesn't have control of basic bodily functions. What kind of life is that? I suppose some would argue it is one, but I would never make that argument for a stranger, much less about a woman I love dearly.

Maybe it's because I'm a nurse, but I feel like death is another stage. For my grandmother it is one she is ready for. Those of us with faith, have nothing to fear. It is just another phase of this existence, well, actually a whole new existence. I can only assume for those without faith, this is scary. I can't imagine not believing there is more. I have digressed....

My family came together today. It was wonderful sitting there in that room with my tiny grandma on the bed and all of us surrounding her. I could feel the love and I must believe she did too. More than likely she is no longer in that shrinking body, but somewhere else, hovering...waiting for her time. I do so pray she goes quietly into that good night.

I love you grandma, may this next life give you much more happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment