Saturday, September 13, 2014

My Anniversary

A little over 5 weeks ago, I had a personal anniversary. It was a year from the date of my Gastric surgery. The reason I didn't blog about it is because I still am effected by the stigma that exists around this topic. Ironic really, considering all of America is generally impacted by weight issues, one way or the other. This was one of the best decisions of my life.

Since then, I have lost over 180 pounds. Sure, that is huge, but the real victory is how I think of myself now. You might think it is because of the weight loss, but the truth is that was a mere symptom. The real success is that I realized I could set a goal and accomplish it. That I had the strength to do what I set my mind to do. I silenced the voices in my head and listened to the light inside of me, dying to be heard. "I am worth so much more that what my body looks like". Wow, the power of those words could change so many people's lives if they just believed it. The beauty that radiates from me has nothing to do with those pounds lost, but the glow that illuminates my soul, my eyes... my every step.

See the important caveat is that my body is nowhere near where I want it, but despite that, I'm happy. It took this drastic step for me to realize every person that ever hurt me, judged me or disliked me because of what I looked like had no power. They were weak and insecure in their own right and it was ME...I gave them the power to hurt me. It was me all along that was the one with all the strength. The truly funny thing is that I can lose the weight, but they...it will take a lot more work than they may ever know to change the darkness inside of them that makes them lash out at others. Unfortunately, there is no surgery for that.

Sorry nasty people:

That guy that sat behind me in ELP class
Carmen Barnes
Allen Faircloth
Jason Karlek
Larry Dudek
April Fowler
Amy Allen
Craig Ballinger
David
Apex guy from SJ High
fuquay dad at Gamestop




No comments:

Post a Comment