Friday, September 24, 2010

Car Idol

Men are said to see their cars as women. They call it 'she'. They pamper 'her'. It is purposed that they have the market on this relationship. I am here to disprove that. If you have ever seen me in my car, that might be evident. My baby must have a few things to be in tiptop shape. One, a sunroof; Two, a CD player with burns of my favorite tunes; Three, a kickass sound system. Then we are in business.

I am closer to who I am when I'm in my car than anywhere. I can't site any particular reason but I feel completely free and in control in my car. I accelerate. The breeze whips through my hair and sometimes my hands because yes, my windows are almost always down. Today was one of those beautiful days were my girl and I had some solid alone time. We drove the long way home from school, past all the parks and historic areas. We ventured downtown were the cityscape comforts me with excitement. Tonight we might take a ride again to have the lights hug us both with hope. What I have left out is some activity while she and I explore--singing!

The boom may be heard from some ways away while I'm on the open strip.  Now, most men blast their stereos to get us women to look or even other men to envy their girls. I jam because it frees my soul. I jam because I immerse myself in the emotions of the song. Hey and sometimes I just want to JAM with songs that make no sense. I feel so alive when I am on the road, blasting my stereo/CD with the wind whipping through.  I wasn't going to tell you this part but another reason for loud music is to drown out my own singing. LOL

So if you pass a redhead, driving fast, with the stereo blaring, and long hair blowing about madly while she sings her heart out while bopping her head...don't laugh because me...I'm having the time of my life and nothing could take that away. Well there was that once that I got stopped by a bike cop to turn my radio down---that is another blog.

Driven

She's a terror on the roads
They all stop and stare
The wind whipping through
With the sun in her hair
She's bopping her head
Her foot heavy in tune
Ripping up the roads silence
Stealing glances at the moon
She'll pass you quickly
But a moment for you to see
Reality suspended in this motion
Only the feeling of being free
She's forgotten all her sorrows
A true smile replaces the pain
Mistakes are racing behind her
The past screams her name
Slow down but a second
And you may just hear her say
With a daredevils smile full of laughter
"try and catch me another day"

Catherine Ellen Ballinger

1 comment:

  1. OK, while I recognize that a LOT (repeat LOT) of guys see their vehicles as symbols of their own sexual prowess and anthropomorphize them into an attractive female (or male depending on which way you swing,) Not all do. To me, it is a tool. I like my car, but I like because it does what need it to do in order for me to live my life in as uncomplicated drama free as possible. Just sayin. :)

    ReplyDelete