Tuesday, September 7, 2010

September 7, 1968

Today is my best friends,DeVeers', birthday. The story of him and I becoming friends could make a great book and an even better love story had it went that way. It was mid 2002. We found one another on the all powerful America Online network for pen pals. He and I were both just looking to connect in a literary way, I think. I suppose in hindsight maybe we were both hoping for a romantic tyrst of sorts but fate had other things in mind. We did the normal getting to know each other, exchanging of stories for weeks, maybe months on end until one day we find we actually lived merely minutes away from one another. We met up one very long night at a local 24 hour Kmart haha We just walked around the store for hours talking, comparing lives.

It was barely two weeks later that he moved back to Connecticut. We lost touch for a few months, during his transition.One day out of the blue he returned to me, via an email and we began our friendship again over the phone for years. We melded together quickly. He and I both considered ourself outside the realm of the standard quo. We both were searching for things beyond this world and minds of most. Together we began that  journey, supporting one another and sharing what we learned.

Fate, yet again, stepped in and  brought us together again. DeVeer needed a change of scene and I provided that in my little apartment, with my son, Daniel in North Carolina. It was then we were really tested. I guess the glow wore off and the arguing began. They say you hurt the one you love the most. I am here to tell you that that tired cliche is true! We lived together for about three years learning how to love one another unconditionally...learning how a man and a woman can mean much more to each other than sex...realizing that sometimes our soulmates don't have to be the romantic one that all the movies dictate.

Fast forward 9 years later and DeVeer is still my one and only best friend. Come arguments, tears and many fears, he is still the one person I cannot live without.

No comments:

Post a Comment