Saturday, July 23, 2011

Citified Country Girl

My childhood was a good mix of adventures really. Birth, alone, was in a foreign land that not many can claim. It was an experience that I do remember and value to this day. Not the birthing part(that was kinda a blur), but the 6 or so years I lived in Germany. Then we moved to Texas, yeehaw! It was there my Arachnophobia was born and perhaps my dislike of the heat. Years later I am stranded on planet North Carolina. It was most definitely an alien feeling place. I won't go into details, destroying the southern name that I attempt to own. There are things you Yankee's will never know.

Yep...NC. I hated it. It's safe to say that. I felt like I had landed in the middle of a cornfield(quite literally at times) with no proof of life. And so I suffered on for years as a city girl forced to be country. I made the best of it by communing with nature and all the while keeping a book in my hand so as to not lose track of my mind. I resisted assimilation for a long time but eventually the brainwashing took. I believed myself to be one of them and even(gasp) married one. For that matter I even produced one of my own.

Then...life kinda crashed a bit and flipped upside down on me. I moved to a land far, far away with bright lights, no stars at night and lots of traffic. There were moments of longing for the sight of that big white ball in the sky at night but I adapted quickly. In fact, i was so shocked that I convinced myself this was where I belonged.

BAM! Life throws another curve ball. Not only do I end up back in the country but in my family home. There was no question coming here...I was home. I heard the crickets at night. I actually woke up to a rooster crowing. Those dots in the sky...my goodness they lay glistening on that velvety blanket in the sky and I see every one of them.

Long story short...turns out I'm a bonefied (oh its a word) country girl! Ya'll come back ya hear

No comments:

Post a Comment