Thursday, July 28, 2011

Secrets

There is a wonderful website that I frequent once a week. They post new items every Sunday. It is called Post Secrets. It's the place for exactly what the name implies. Every week/day people transform beautiful, plain and/or eccentric post cards by scribbling their secrets upon, anonymously. Out of the thousands, about twenty-five notes are picked to be showcased on the website each week. Even more are put in the book; there are 4 books so far (I have 2 of them). The author of these books and, in fact this oasis for the guilt-ridden is Frank Warren. "Frank Warren claims that the postcards are inspirational to those who read them, have healing powers for those who write them, give hope to people who identify with a stranger's secret, and create an anonymous community of acceptance" (Warren, F. (2006). My Secret. New York City: HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.)

The concept behind this is that sometimes we just need to put it out there. It doesn't matter the purpose or results. Can you imagine having a long held thing/event caged inside your entire life? Picture confessing that to a person, anyone you know, be it friend or family. What do you think the results would be? If you can answer your secret would be well received or accepted with grace then count yourself beyond lucky. However if you are like most of us, the answer would be nothing but condemnation. We, as human beings aren't hardly aware of just how judgmental we really are, even and maybe especially to those we love. In order to correct this, we seek out therapists and strangers that might allow us more freedom to be who we are without prejudice.

As Mr.Warren intended I get to this site and I am moved to tears by the urgency of some of the confessions. Oftentimes, I am inspired by the beauty of another persons secret self. Believe it or not there are even notes of pure entertainment that make me laugh out loud. I suppose it is the anonymity that creates this atmosphere of wonderment. Secrets are told that no one would dare utter. Thoughts that rarely see the light of day, beyond our minds are brought to the world. It is exactly like getting to take a sneak peak into someone's diary. I suppose it might be compared to blogging, at least my kind of blogging, definitely.

My purpose here is to see all human beings. I strive to accept and acknowledge all walks of life. This website is a very good place to get an inkling of what that entails. I urge you to go there and tell me what you see. I bet your wondering if I have mailed in a secret of my own...I'll never tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment