Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Happy Birthday Baby

Today is my son's 18th birthday. It is hard to believe my little baby boy is now officially a man. All parents will tell you that the time flies and I am yet another one. I do remember when he was a baby in the basinet beside my bed. Daniel was a very good baby. He never kept me up at night with any of those typical problems like colic or teething or even just the day and night mix up. He was always an early riser. Oftentimes, he woke up before me. That only became a problem when he began walking and I realized I had to become an early riser as well. Like the time when he was two years old: We woke up to find him sitting in the cat's litter box, happy as can be with devastation all around him. He had taken a bunch of pussy willows that we had brought home and de-shed them all over the kitchen and living room; somehow he found the last remaining cassette tapes known to man and unraveled them as well. After all that he decided to bond with our kitty by playing in her litter box. My initial reaction was that of anger but before I could say a word, I looked into his eyes and saw how happy he was; laughter ensued. There were quite a few of these types of memories because Daniel always had an explorative mind. When it was time for him to begin school this was never more evident.

Every year I would meet with the teachers and the same thing was said: "Daniel is extremely bright but isn't interested in our studies." Instead, you could find Daniel talking to not only fellow students, but teachers about their problems or those of the world. Yep, my son was the little counselor. At a very early age he was convinced he could help everyone. It was then and still is one of his most endearing qualities. Of course don't tell him I said that because in "mommy-mode" I am supposed to remind him that he needs to focus on himself and let others find their own way.

Here we are today, my baby becoming a man in society's eyes… He isn't sure where he'll go in his future and we are steadily trying to work on that. I am very confident that whatever it is, he will not only succeed but be the leader he was destined to become.

I love you Daniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment