Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Time, lines and the drum

There is some quote about time marching on, whether we like it or not. This is a fact we all must face eventually. Then again, if you pay attention you will hear those drums throughout your life.
My eighteen year-old son told me that he feels bored with this life…thud! My grandparent’s health is deteriorating fast …thud! I looked in the mirror this morning and saw my first wrinkle beginning..thud! thud! Each time that sound is heard our hearts skip a beat. It’s a change in our awareness of life and it leaves its mark. When these moments happen I suppose you have two choices on how to deal. One, you allow that fear to stay in your life…you slow down, stop taking chances and give in to the inevitabilities as you see them now. The other choice is to embrace this as a milestone. It is a marker that we have come so far in life. It is the sign that you have these choices: to move forward in this adventure or find your comfort zone and stay there for the rest of your life. Let me be clear that either one is acceptable…this is YOUR life!
No one is immune to these drums; they merely thud at different intervals for different people. Some of us die a little when we hit the big 3 0, while others are happy to have arrived.  One of the most famous markers is that “mid-life” crisis we hear so much about from men. It generally happens around 50 and can severely cripple a life. Sometimes men begin seeking younger women or sports cars to stop the drums. Women begin questioning their looks and start talking about having “work” done on it to deny the process.
Yes, I feel these fears. I even can confess to allowing it to halt my growth a time or two but in the end I endure, we will endure. Those lines on my face are the stories of my life, each one documents a time in my line. The big 4 0 will be coming soon and I am sure to feel proud that I made it this far. Things will begin to sag, lines will spread and parts of my life will slow down. I strive and will continue to embrace this journey. After all, the end is really just the beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment