Monday, August 22, 2011

Ode to Opie

 This blog is solely dedicated to my Opie; he, alone knows who he is, and if I had his ever humble permission I would give his name and shout that to the world. I've never dared to share this with people before, perhaps because I've never known such a man as this. I would wish for everyone that they had an Opie in their lives, as I do.

When you first meet this man you are overwhelmed by his kind smile and warm eyes. Personally, I find him absolutely adorable but that might be my bias. That said,  his charm cannot be denied. My dearest Opie has a way of making you feel like you are the most important person in the room when he speaks to you. His soft green/hazel/blue eyes holding yours as  he listens intently to the words you say. When I first met him I couldn't believe how he retains what I'd say. "He really is listening!" It floored me everytime he regirgitated what I said back to me...it still does to this day.

Ahhh, and when he smiles, it comes from deep within. There is no pretense with this man, I assure you. Although, he does have a twinkle of mischieviousness that you'll only guess at for moments before he springs it on you. Do not allow him to know your weaknesses because my Opie loves to push a person past their issues. When he cares about you he makes it a point to challenge your ideals and get you to a point where you might even consider another side. Opie doesn't comprehend that the world is not as brilliant as he is so he continually attempts to make his vision true.

That brings me to his intelligence. He is a history major with the sharpest memory I have ever had the privilege to know. There is rarely any topic that he can't give you the origin of its time, the proper name of the people and/or events involved. One might think this perfection would become boring but I assure you each time I am fascinated by his knowledge.

Ahhh but his heart...it's so big, you can hardly imagine one man could contain it. As I said above, it radiates from his very being and felt by everyone near him. He is a lover of animals, a champion of the underdog and a believer of the peaceful approach. I can confess that I underestimated and perhaps took this gentleness for weakness, in the beginning. Let me assure you, that my Opie has the strength of a Lion, that resides in him. If anyone dare hurts his loved ones, the steel in his eyes becomes evident. I believe his inner strength is beyond limits,  yet hard for him to have faith in that, himself. Yet, I have seen this man overcome many odds. I know all, or most, of his stories from  his challenging youth. Everything from his turbulent times in different countries, to his father's death and to the marriage that he couldn't save all by himself. I imagine my Opie's eyes have a very far away look when these memories come back to his mind.  Even that sadness is a beautiful thing to behold. It is filled with such thoughtfulness and responsibility.

Through all this beauty there is a very deep sense of humor that cannot be contained. He makes me laugh all the time. I imagine his poor mother had quite the time with this rascal when he was growing up. That mischieviousness I mentioned before has been with him since birth I believe. Admittedly, sometimes he can make me completely crazy but always with a smile that I can't deny...and I try!

Now you know a bit about my Opie. I honestly do wish everyone had someone like him in their lives but...you can't have mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment