Friday, May 27, 2011

Echoes of a life

My parents are coming over today with my grandparents furniture. I'm very excited about it! I prepared my carpets yesterday with a professional cleaning. They look wondrous! This living room set was the one I admired as a child, in part because we were not allowed to go in there. It was my grandparents formal living room. We may have been in there twice my whole life for a family function. Amongst the excitement at having a treasured piece from my grandparents, there is a small reminder of sadness. The reason I am obtaining this is due to my grandparents impending death, to be perfectly blunt. They have been put in a nursing home(a decision I still disagree on) some time ago. Since that time, their health and mental acuity has quickly went downhill. No wonder might I say since they have been together and in their own beautiful home for over 50 years.

Imagine this, as it appears my family cannot: A young woman and man of a much older generation, than this one, finding one another in love. Against many obstacles and hardships they find stability in their lives with one another through the decades. Everyday it is that other person beside you in the bed. It is your partner for life that you have come to learn, respect and love unconditionally. Then you add a home to the mix. A place where your children are raised. Even when they are gone their children come back to replace the echoes of merriment. My grandparents home was the mecca of kindness, generosity and security. You could always count on my grandmother offering us Frito Lays and a soda as soon as we came in from running all over their grounds. The tractor rides my grandfather, even when not feeling the best, would offer to us every time. I always knew the cows didn't really need feeding, every time we came...he did that for us, my sister and I.

Now picture all that gone in a matter of weeks. Imagine trying to fathom that the person and home you had built your life with, wanted to grow old with, would no longer be there in your last days. Personally, it breaks my heart to no end. The point of us finding that someone, that constant seeking, is so that our lives will be shared with someone til the end. What a travesty that is has been cut short!

My family doesn't understand the quick degradation of my grandparents health. They keep looking to doctors for the answers; putting them both through tests and medicinal trials to no satisfaction. I'm curious why it is only me that sees the answer so clearly: They are brokenhearted! Plain and simple, they no longer wish to live a life they haven't chosen. I will miss them dearly and forever be saddened at the disappointing end of it all but I will not weep for their passing. I would not want to live a life devoid of my lifetime of choices, possessions and most of all the love of my life around me; That is not living, existing is no choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment