Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lymphedema

Today marks a significant time in my life, at least here in my blog, perhaps to my life as well. I am going to disclose something that has been haunting my days since I found out, officially last week. I have Lymphedema. It is otherwise known as Lymphatic Obstruction. It is a chronic disease that is caused by the failing of the lymphatic system and/or a lack of lymph nodes present at birth. The Lymphatic system helps fight any sickness, alongside the immune system so when it is compromised you are susceptible to infection.  There are many different causes and mine is a genetic one. This means I was born with crucial lymph nodes missing in my legs particularly.  I experienced a flare when I was overseas as a child but they had little to no information at the time. I was put in a buck traction at the early age of 4 with no real diagnosis to be found. My leg function returned and my white blood cells went down magically after about a week. Five years ago, another flare began that is just now being diagnosed; it won't be as easy this time to regain normalcy.

I was completely devastated upon hearing the words Chronic Disease. I can tell you it took every strength I had to not cry in front of my therapist. Although I assure you my eyes were bright and shiny with the unshed ones. That is the bad news but the good news is there is treatment to keep this under control. Currently I am at the early stage 1-2, thank goodness. There is an extensive and costly therapeutic program that involves wrappings and intensive massage. I have found an amazing therapist at UNC that I am confident will help me through this difficult time. She is not only a fabulous therapist, a nice person, but she also suffers from this disease herself due to a bug bite. 

Yes, I'm hopeful that I can do this but I can well tell you there are many times that I am overwhelmed by facing this especially alone. I confess, with shame, but one of the many concerns this has brought to me is my love life. It is the last thing that should be on my mind but truthfully, I feel like this is the final nail, halting all hope in my romantic search. Thank God for friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment